Monday, October 29, 2012

Attending Conference at Berlin - Travelog Day 6

Final day (of conference)

A bit late today. Wake up at 4.20am. Might be the mind had accepted the time here or may be because I'm tired. My leg and butt are really in pain.. hahaha... felt like training for marathon... hahaha
Normal breakfast















As previous day, had time to chat with my kids :), then update my blogs and perform solah. Around 7am, went down for breakfast and went to the conference.

Many people were late today due to conference dinner end up late. Many attend the dinner and got drunk I guess :) ... hahaha...

Information overloading

The panels
Topic
There are many session that I wish to attend but some of of the presenter are too good for me to walk away and attend other session... At the end, I had to rush here and there. Same as yesterday.

On one of the session (I attend the panel session since the paper presentation, you can refer to material given), the presenter talk very fast and I was not able to take pictures as he quickly flip through... arghhh, that was good image...

Another paper presentation I attend, each presenter only spent 5 minutes with less than 10 slide each. Wow!!! that's fast and they really punctual when it come to time.

Try my best to catch up with many interesting session.

Fault estimation!!!!

Break time

Buying is very easy if you know German :)
During break time, we when to Brandenburger Tor.

Just press... hahaha
Actually, my colleague
plan to go to holocaust location where jews was 'slaughted' during Nazi (Adolft Hitler) time (that is what the jews claimed) located near by Brandenburger Tor and Reichstag. So we bought train ticket for 1 complete day of which cost us 7Euro.

The train to Zoologischer
The first train was to Zoologischer which about1 km from TU Berlin. Then we need to change train. A bit confuse and got the wrong guidance for few times. They are friendly but either we don't really understand as some of them show us the way but speak in German or they don't really get what we said.


After wondered around, a man came approached us and query us if we need some help. Ooo yeh... of course and he gave us the correct and exact ways. That's better.

Another train buddy... so we switched from U-Bahn train to S-Bahn train and goes to Hauptbahnhof (the Berlin Central Train Station)... We reached there around 1.30pm. And from there we got lost again. Goes to information counter and they shows the wrong way too.. aargghhhh..... and we went here and there, up and down until I almost give up.

So I went outside to rest and thinking of just walking around the station. My colleague still looks at the map and try to find the way. After awhile, he went somewhere else. I turn around and went I turn back to the door, I can't find him. Wait for him as thought that he might come out. After few minutes of waiting and he did not turn up, I took my chance and goes straight to front. Crossed a river (saw boat-tour)... Thought if I had time, I will definitely try the river-cruise.

Then saw Branderburger Tor signboard which about 1km from there. Decide to walk and yes, saw few nice scenes. The first thing I saw was the German Chancellery which about 500 meters from the train station.
The parliament was located there too; the opposite of the chancellery and in front of it was really nice. Night scene here should be nicer I guess. Took some picture of it.


More picture can be seen here.

After shots some photos, I walk down the road towards the gate or known as Brandenburger Tor. Part of it contains lots of stories behind it. On the way there, I took few more shots on the surrounding scene. Drop by a shops selling gifts for tourist. Thought of buying something but then decided to take my chances which I plan to shop at near by my hotel; like 'gift bazaar'; around Kurfurstendamm (using bicycle should be ok).

After 15 minutes of walking slowly, I reached the gate and get to see many more. Also saw many jews whom definitely when to their memorial centre which about 500 meters from there. Wish to go there just to see the view and see how they were 'killed' by the Nazi but too many of them that stops me from going there. After all, time does not permitted :).

Capture some of interesting moment there :)











More picture can be seen here.

About 2.30pm, I decided to turn back and head towards to conference. This time around, it was very easy but my leg already felt pain. Carrying a bag of computer and camera, plus my weight, absolutely a burden to my feet.

Reach Zoologischer about 3.05 and then decided to walk to TU Berlin.... arghhh wrong decision brother. Reach there around 3.40 and went straight for break.. Had bread and coffee and met my colleague there... He really look tired (and he did make a u-turn, back to the conference after confuse of finding the right way)... hahahaha... He went back to hotel and rest (which later I found out that he lost his way due to trying to find a turkish shop to buy Zippo and spend 2 hours of circling around Berlin... hehehe).. what a day brother.

Closing ceremony

After break, went to panel session which talks about Smart Cities and how EU plan to move forward from now till 2050. They surely want to move that ways. However as previously during a panel session yesterday, there are question about successful rate of RE and smart grid and question weather we should implements RE or not since the cost and rate of successful is low. The panel mentioned that it is yet to discover.. after all, it is still long way to go and they might change the plan if they discover something else later. On top of that, it is 'RESEARCH' ... anything is possible. Even US is building up 4 more nuclear power plant, of which 2 starts this year and will commission in 2015.

At 5.30pm, the session end up and they get ready for closing ceremony. Not many left as many speakers and presenter left earlier. I did not wait for the closing ceremony as was thinking to go around the cities looking for chocolates and few items to bring back home. Reach hotel around 6.20pm after my colleague did not response my YM. When I went to his room, he just arrived from his adventurous cycling... hehehe

Went back to my room and take a rest.

Night tour

At 8.00pm, after prayed, we went around the cities. Enter the Kastard (a large shopping complex) just to be ask to leave.. They closed at 8pm... So, they only open for 10 hours (compared to us which from 10am - 10pm and sometimes till 12pm). So we went up ahead and took some pictures. Not really impressive scenes.

Then, we met an Indian guy.. a Phd student and we exchange business card. He is doing EE but I can't remember his focus area. We discussed for a while. He told me that the dinner he went last night was not as expected. The food is ok but the location, scene, and the band was lousy.. hmmm and he said that it is a waste of spending 4 hours (1.30 hours of journey through-and-flow).. hehehe good for us.

Then we went about 100 meters ahead before turning back. Reach our room at 11pm. Take a light shower, play games... and goes to sleep...

That's end my 6th day in Berlin... Need to wake up early tomorrow to pack my things and hopefully to do last minute shopping :)... Good night Berlin...

<< Day 5    Last Day >>

No comments: