Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Attending Conference at Berlin - Travelog Day 3

First Day of Conference

From the hotel window
(the time is actually malaysian time)
I still unable to tune my mind to Berlin time. So, still wake up around 6.30am of Malaysia time (around 12am here) ... had to force my eyes to sleep again and wake up at 4am of local Berlin time.

It was a bit cold here with temperature goes till 8'C. It was raining around 5am and the temperature drop to 6'C. I open up my laptop and skype and see some notes from my kids... hahaha sorry kids, unable to open skype yesterday. Quickly make a voice call for each of them and communicate with them. Only kakak tablet  can be used to communicate via video call. My hero's table are unable to use video call. And my manja-girl's table is worst. Unable to use video and voice call at all. So she felt frustrated and demotivated. Lucky my wife use her phone :).

My breakfast on my 2nd day in Berlin
After talking with them for a while, went for a shower and then perform solah.

Then, I started to upload few pictures to my galleries and update my life blogs. After completed, I open my work to update few things.

At 7pm, went for breakfast. There are not much we can ate since I'm not confident of its halal features :). But need to have something. So I had cereal and bread.

We decide to back to our room and move out around 10.30am to the conference location.

Riding to TU Berlin

Me...
It is a bit tired for us to walk and using taxi will not be cheap for us whom only bring less than 300 euros. To take a bus, we don't know how and worry of getting lost especially when you don't bring lots of money :). So we decided to rent a bike. I cost us 20 euros for 4 days. It is cheap for hotel guest. Else, it will be 12 euros for 1 day.

run kids
Run guys... as fast as you can
Ok Jon? Shall we move on...

This time, we thought of taking another road and we have make a mistake of doing so. The path that we took bring us closer to airport as we can see the signboard... hahaha... then we had to make a u-turn and reach The Orangery. Beside it is Charlottenburg Palace. aaaa... lost again... hahaha...

But, we had opportunity to see an event (marathon) there. There were many supporters out there. And there was even a group of people playing drums to support those runners. The best part was when the kids that runs (in different lane) reach the finish line.. all of the people watching automatically claps their hand and give morale support to those kids although those are not their kids. There was even parent running with their kids. How nice. In Malaysia? hard to see those...

The Sambanda
The band cheering the runners
The statue of ?? don't get the name actually
Brother Jon looking for the right direction
Then, we ask the police (polizing) near by to show us the path to TU Berlin. He can't speak english very well but he still show us the path and it was very easy. Just go straight of the road and there you will see it :).

Where am I?
Here I was
TU Berlin (but not the main campus)

We are thinking of to see the location of TU Berlin and then when around Berlin after that. However, since we have lost our ways and only reach the university at 12.30pm, so we decided to go for registration. After sign-off with a bit of misunderstanding (at first, did not get the conference material... what!!!.. had to change at information counter and we are not the only one facing it) we took a rest and decide to attend the tutorial. So, we when to the tutorial room but was told that our voucher does not include the tutorial and we need to reprint the voucher. When we went to the information counter, we were shocked that if we wish to attend the tutorial, we need to pay 150 euros. WOW!!!... Cancel that and lets go back to hotel brother.

Went back to hotel. My colleague went to buy bread and I went to finish my bread (from last night meal)... hahaha... still have it and luckily I have mini bar to keep it cold. Had to use hot-water tab to make it warm again.

Informal Reception

The Atrium, TU Berlin

Around 6pm, went to TU Berlin for Information Reception alone. My colleague was unable to join me. His cough was getting worse. Might be because of the exercise we had today (cycling around Berlin - more than 5 km of cycling for people that no longer exercise is really hard).

Reach there around 6.16pm. There are not many people yet. Then saw few poster presentation. Had few that catch my attention. However, it is still a student project so can't expect most of it. But had few ideas generated from it...

Nothing much can eat... Had chicken BBQ (arabic style and I only ate small amount of it as taste weird) and a tortilla with some vegetarians inside and that's it. Get orange drink and coffee. Around 7.30, I make a move and decided to go to a turkish cafe (call the Istanbul) and buy donor demer (like kebab but it use tortilla type of bun). Then head to hotel. When to see my colleague and thought of sharing it since it is quite big. But heard him sleep loudly.. hahaha.. so went back to my room, ate, take a shower, than perform solah. Play some games before when to bed.

That's end up my third day in Berlin. Tomorrow will be a long conference day. Adios!!!

For today's photos of few scenery in Berlin, check it out here.

<< Day 2    Day 4 >>

No comments: